(Servings 12 medium muffins or 24 mini muffins)
- 2 large Free range eggs
- ½ cup Light brown sugar
- 2 medium Mashed bananas
- 1 cup ButterMilk
- 1 cup Unprocessed Wheat Bran or Oat Bran
- ¼ cup Canola oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Fruit puree (you can also use apple sauce)
- 1½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoons Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoons Salt
- Preheat oven to 180degC/400 Fahrenheit. Lightly grease 12 muffins tins or 24 mini muffin tins (you can also use baking paper or muffin liners).
- Whisk the wet ingredients: eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Then, whisk in bananas, buttermilk, wheat bran, oil and vanilla.
- Whisk the dry ingredients: whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips, if using.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they’ll be quite full).
- Sprinkle with walnuts, if using.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.